Pinterist

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

What About YOUR Friends?!?

A year ago, I got to shoot a special person. I've dedicated Wedding Wednesday to her and her husband. I think it was 6th grade that we began to see each other as friends. Had we met a year before?!? YASSS. She was short, with long crinkly hair. I was taller with a Jheri curl turned perm. We hung out all the time. We 3 way called.
She lived down the street and around the corner from my hidden crush. She was the first friend from school, I'd stayed two weeks with during the summer break. At some point during my stay, my eyeballs had swollen shut from something. Til this day, we still have no clue. Since I was nowhere near my mother, I was excited that we'd finally get to go to Dance Across Texas! YES!!! SCORE!! Insert every word that shows excitement here. NOPE!! I guess my mom just knew. She called us every hour on the hour to make sure we DID NOT go to Dance Across Texas. I was deprived like that.




In comes high school! She'd gone straight. Still short. I then cut my hair, like a mushroom with back bangs (LOL, to be in her quinceanera. We had bluish-green taffeta, tea length dresses.
I remember my mama making a big deal out of getting the shoes dyed to the same color. Payless had them but I remember us spending, roughly $30. Welp, there goes my allowance for 3 weeks.



Fast forward to post high school. SHE'S still here! We have partied enough for 83,782 single ladies. I recall driving her to see her then boyfriend on his lunch breaks. It was the cutest thing to witness. She was there for me when I had breakups (Red Fez) to dance and "be social". At one point in our lives, we both shared a sweet milestone. We were once pregnant at the same time some years ago. She succeeded. I didn't so much. I remember calling her from California to tell her about my pain. Shortly after, I'd lost the baby. Outside of my husband, she was my first person to call. She is so deserving. Everyone needs to experience love to this capacity. The way she and her husband were brought together was all in GOD's plan. No backstory, but he came along when she needed him most.




A year ago, she made sure I was able to attend her wedding. Chicago living and all. She asked ME, yes ME, to shoot her most precious moment. Honored wasn't even the expression to type. It showed me that she believed in me beyond family portraits. It wasn't my first wedding but it meant everything. I was able to shoot her in the same exact church as her quince, umpteen years ago. Gaining genuine support from people you know is quite difficult when FREE isn't on menu. Deja vu from seven years earlier, I pick her special day to share with her my GREAT news.
That's how much she means to me. As I captured her throughout the day, I just thought to myself, how beautiful my friend looked; how lucky her husband is to have her as a wife. Her cooking doesn't hurt either. My mysterious friend's name is Melissa.

Please help me say, Happy Anniversary (days away) to my friend and her boo, Mr and Mrs Brien McKinzie! I love you both!





PS: They LOVED their wedding package and Coffee Table Book! It is always my pleasure to shoot friends! I feel I will always have a personal connection with them on their special day.




No comments: